Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Comrades, on your stomachs!


The Level II manual weighs .5 pounds. I weigh an additional 3.5 pounds on return indicating that the rice and beans consumed in Costa Rica caught up just in time for weigh in. I had no intention of snatch testing-and I did not. This task,left to do,will build some excitement for August's CK-FMS. Also, I will meet Gabi and Franklin, two individuals known to be rabid kettlebell enthusiasts. This is going to be very fun.

More than once I stated that being in a room of kettlebellers was like being in a room of lone wolves. Not sure what I mean by this exactly. Many train on their own and arrive with a notion that the Level 1 moves are perfectly dialed in-"Not so!"say Pavel, Kenneth, and Brett. Andrea is kinder and meticulously puts us through the paces . Rif is hardcore too,yet super chill and does not make too public a demonstration of our shortcomings. We know. We are not sure who is dragging the hind quarter and about to get chomped. There is blood on the field and we come inside for the protection of the pack after spending most of the first day on level one drills. Pavel maybe disappears to get sick. Who knows. He is not happy. I assume nothing about my skills and regard all incoming interactions with respect and obedience. My tail is not down; I am relaxed and make some lasting fixes.

Day one I do not think we reviewed teaching skills for level II skills,hell,some could not swing a bell. Hm. It was a long day. There were two more after that. Level II core skills: Tgu,windmill,push press, bent press, pistol and pull-up. The breakdown of tgu and windmill were particularly valuable to me in terms of clients and my own shoulder health.
Push press and bent press I never practice,except to prepare for the cert. Now I will add those to my weight moving activities.

The Morning Recharge with John worked well to get my mind and body in the game. Exposure to Z- Health through Fawn and Andrea indicates good stuff.

9 comments:

Franklin said...

You are going to the CK-FMS cert too?! Wow! it gets more amazing by the day .. it will be honor to meet a fellow blogger and freshly minted RKC II!

I have been viewing the Cook and Jones Secrets of the particular-body-part DVD series. They are very in depth and challenging .. should be a great cert.

Great post and an important reminder to me to continue to be vigilant with the basics RKC lifts. Your "On your stomach, comrades" photo immediately brought flashbacks from my recent Cert .. I'm still so blown away by the experience.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Franklin-Yup. It is a Minnesota summer blow out this year! A way to recharge. We did a bunch of shoulder health stuff with Andrea as we worked windmill-felt fantastic. I learned a great deal and am still processing the experiences. In an effort to be true to what I felt/experienced, I have not looked at (many) blogs just yet.

It is really going to be fun to meet up!

Gabi said...

Oh yes, can't wait :)

So many problems with L1 technique... frightening, sort of. Do they escape so easily...? Humm.

Howie B said...

Basics, basics, basics!! You may have had your tail between your legs, but you left with your head held high! Congratulations again!!

Unknown said...

Katie,

Congratulations. Wish I could have been there with you.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Gabi- I don't know what the deal was with L1 skills. I kept my eyes averted and did what was asked. I did see some slop though. My swing is way crisper now and feels great. I was not reaching back sufficiently with the hips. Hinge yes- but too shallow a hip reach. That and micro-bending the arms at top of swing were the only corrections I received on L1.

Howie- Thank you so much! Now that I have gotten somewhat caught up, I'll be checking into your training.
Tim- Man, there were several of us from Team Rif: Drew, Fred, Me,and Taikei. We missed your Superman tat;)

Bob O. said...

I guess the lesson on level 1 skills is practice them and practice them periodically with another member of the 'pack.'

Good to meet you.

Bob

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hi Bob, Great to meet you too! Best wishes at school and in your kb practice!

fawn said...

Katie,
You are such a great writer... I love reading what you have to say, and the way you say it.