Thursday, July 10, 2008

and I have this to say about magical thinking...

A decision to attend a professional development opportunity or workshop, to me, indicates you are serious about what you are doing in your own personal practice and/or fitness biz and interested in improving and learning more. You will be assessed on several key lifts and exercises. You know this in advance. You are aware of your current skill,the time you have to prepare and your resources. You don't believe in the Easter Bunny, but expect some minor miracle to get you up over the bar or under the bell, or off the floor. Maybe a contact buzz off the mish-mash of people will give you the extra umph to dial in that skill come test time. If you have to pick a sketchy skill that needs tuned-do NOT pick the pistol or the pull-up. Also have your level 1 skills in very good order.

9 comments:

Howie B said...

I believe in the Easter Bunny! He brings me Cadbury Mini Eggs on Easter morning.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

That does not surprise me. Just don't expect him to be there on test day:)

Taikei Matsushita said...

Somehow the factor got me pass through tests were repetitive practices I've been doing at home.
I didn't catch up with RKC progression methods taught in those three days. Specifically pistol and pullup.

I later told Aaron that his advice few months ago got me pass pullup.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Correct-not to struggle. Rather explode, that was Aaron's advice. That's the thing-you were working at home and receiving the input you needed. I felt that the time given to physically practice the L2 core skills based on explanations was limited. I like to have time to explore the input. Examine the stuff from several angles. Putting a guy out there on day 1 whose swing needs a lot of work is not a legitimate use of our time imo.

Christine said...

Hey Kate! I wasn't sure if this was your blog until I saw the pictures...I'm going to add you to my blog if that is ok! Hope all is well, sounds like it is!

Bob O. said...

Hi Kate...sounds like there is still bitterness from the group. I'm trying to focus on the positive things. I agree, more time and hands on instruction/observation would create more learning and retention of these skills.

What if they sent those guys home...you know the ones that clearly failed to practice any L1 skills in about 2 years! (thinking of someone from my L1 cert)

Take care!

Mike T Nelson said...

Thanks for the updates here! Keep practicing and I look forward to more info!
Rock on!
Mike N

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hi Christine,Bob and Mike! Thanks for visiting my blog. I just returned from PA and will be blogging here in a sec.