Friday, July 18, 2008

Visiting the folks

I was able to slip in a quick trip up to PA to visit with family and recharge a bit in the country. City life can be numbafying and not all that stimulating. I spent a considerable amount of time and effort on the breezeway couch observing birds feeding,flying and scolding. The usual jays,cardinals,jenny wrens (and her hatchlings nested on the garage door wreath),chickadees,woodpeckers, and bluebirds. My mom takes great care of the bluebirds and carries them wax worms and other worms for their gourmet treats. There is a small,flat cup attached to a post where they congregate to snack. Along the creek I saw an indigo bunting and was so happy to see its electric blue flight among the tall brush.
Besides birds there were plenty o' rabbits,woodchucks,snakes and frogs,and skunks. Saw all specimens alive and dead. Country roads are hell for cats, apparently. My dad and I took the better part of a day and went canoeing on the "Con." Despite a bit of rain the previous night, we did have to haul it a bit through the shallows but did enjoy the mellow slide downstream with several sweet rapids. A short drive of one of the VW campers took the edge off-a camper van fix-I love how my arms pretty much lay across the steering wheel like driving a tractor and me groovin' along, rowing through the vague gearing. Of course, everyone wanted to pass me as I was hauling 45mph...so I pulled off at my old elementary school and let those with a destination get there.
I walked an hour or two each day either around the farm or out the back roads. Plenty of black and red raspberry patches-yum!! Lots more poison ivy, but I avoided it,for the most part.
As always, I read. Currently,Neil Peart's Ghost Rider, The Healing Road. Bummer premise for a story, but a great read and he references several authors I already read and some I'll check into. I am enjoying the book immensely. Also in the pipe is Gibson's All Tomorrow's Parties. Cold compared to Neil's journey on motorcycle.

8 comments:

Lauren Brooks said...

Glad you took some time for yourself. It sounds lovely being in the country like that. Hope you feel much more rested and at peace.

Still so grateful for your help when I was sick. You are awesome!

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hi Lauren! The video looks fabulous and congratulations on its release. Great timing:) I do hope all is well with you. Yes, the rest first and then came the peace. Thank you too for the shared conversation.

Taikei Matsushita said...

That's a great description, is it very different from Kentucky?

CI said...

Since I'm a Rush Fan... I read Ghost Rider a while back. Masked Rider was also a very good read. It was about his bicycling trip through West Africa (in Case you haven't read it)

CI

Christine said...

I completely forgot you mentioning Pennsylvania at the BBQ. Sounds like it was a fantastically relaxing vacation. City life is numbing, I forget the beauty the country life has. I get excited when I see geese at school! haha How pathetic! Hope all is well!

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Taikei, Penna is not too different from KY though being closer to all the cities on East coast has pros and cons. Like KY in that many Scots and Irish settled there due to topography. Germans too-my people.

Catherine, Hey! In the 7th grade we had a long-term sub and pretty much spent the year listening to and examining the story of 2112 album. Did you have a chance to catch them in concert this summer? I am for sure going to read Neil's other bks.

Hi Christine! Great to hear from you, all's well here, and I hope you are doing well.

CI said...

Hey Katie,

Yes, I did catch them in St. Louis in June. I've probably seen them 7 or 8 times now. They put on another awesome show (3 hour set). Not bad for 3 dudes who are well into their 50s.

CI

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hi Catherine-That is way cool that you've seen them in concert over the years and they are going strong!-Katie