Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mid-May practices & next adventure

The DLs on Tuesday had me right tuckered out.
5/7 Taught yoga for school's All Children Exercising Simultaneously Day (A.C.E.S. should be A.P.E.S. b/c grown-up people practiced too!)
5/8 12kg 6(30) 2Hsw. Taught "Kettlebells for Yoga" at E.Ky St.
5/10 We practiced outside this morning, what a pleasure!
5/11 Long,slow walk.
5/12 In honor of Gabi and others participating in RKC last weekend, hoisted the 24kg! Cheers to all!! 2 (2/2) more a jerk than push press.
5/13 GTG Pullups throughout the day 4(3). Taught KB class and practiced a bit with class. 30 second work/30 sec. rest. Plenty of push-ups. Was a modified Smokin' Ladders. 2x16kg OH hold 40 secs x2. At the RKC II we will spend some time on windmills and jerks so I want shoulders to be reminded to prepare for stable overhead holds. Handstands.5 hspus. Carrick,Brynn and Anne and I headed over to the weight room to "hang" in preparation for pull-ups. Brynn easily cranked out a couple and as soon as Carrick's visualizations become a reality, she'll be up too! My pull-ups: 4 wait several minutes,then 5.
In early June I'll be traveling to Costa Rica w/students again for Spanish immersion,ecology field studies centered around Leatherback sea turtles and cultural exchange at a high school. This will be my 4th trip to CR and 3rd with EPI (see links) so I am really looking forward to returning to the Pacuare Reserve and working with the tortugas and seeing everyone. The trip will be a challenge for the students. Change of food,shelter,hygiene,sleep patterns and work habits will give them a great opportunity to learn how strong and adaptable they are. Locations are remote with no technology and in some cases, no electricity. Social constructs,such as time, become apparent. It is cool to watch some kids go with the new flow of things and sometimes frustrating when others really want to hang on to the "way things are." Each person has a certain comfort level and will stretch it beyond what they may initially be prepared for. I've seen all manner all of tantrums as participants struggle to cope and grow. It's good stuff. My stretch will be my stomach. We eat rice and bean 3 times a day. Prepare to bloat like a frog. If you've ever put a gummi bear in a cup of water overnight and seen how it absorbs the water? That is how my stomach will feel.

6 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

Ready for RKC II?
I need the pull up done, the only thing (by losing some weights) unprepared.

Speaking of trip, the last trip I made, you saw me. Haven't gone out of city limits much.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Yes,Taikei, I'm ready as I can be, or will be. I have the tricks down we need. Need space in my head for more info. When Costa Rica trip is in flight I can relax better towards RKC II mind.

Yes, we will explore some this year and have barbeque. Bring a "good" tourist shirt!

fawn said...

Wow, Kate... Costa Rica with a group of kids. That should be a lot of fun!

Howie B said...

Gummi bears in water? A worthy experiment. I hope they can swim.

Sounds like an awesome adventure. Survivor for children!

Gabi said...

Wow, sounds like you're in for quite some fun this summer!

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Fawn,Howie and Gabi, Yes, It will be a fun trip and work too. There is a good place for pull-ups and I have a plan to gtg and yoga my way through the 11 days so I'm not total slop for RKC II.