Saturday, March 1, 2008

Now they know...

Before I left for class this morning, I read a post on DD about the lady Beast Tamer Challenge.It prompted me to consider my current goals & the possibility of this feat for me. I sealed the deal when I told my class about the challenge. A brief discussion about formulating,refining,measuring progress and goals followed. Everyone bring your logs to the next class!

Today was about getting the groove of things at the new location.Solid attendance of 7 for Level 1.We kept to basics. JM, wall squats,swings, cheat curls,front squats,sumo dls, and mps. Finisher was intro to TGU or TGU depending. A couple of us jumped over to the weight room for pull ups. The space allows established students to get cranking while I work with new students.
Second class was small due to yoga workshop across town. I did snatches. Switching every 10 reps for 5 min,rest 2 minutes and go for another 5 minutes. Had to be about 200 snatches. 12 kg. Pull-ups earlier were 3 sets of 4. Great new space for practice. I am grateful.
Kentucky Derby is on the horizon. Boy Scouts were on campus for pine box derby. The running of 1st leg of the "Triple Crown" (road race) was this morning. And the sun was out today!

7 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

Are you going to do all three lady beast challenges?
Pistol seems a tough deal.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Yes. Tough,not impossible. Advice? Taikei,I buy you dinner at cert if I make all 3.

Unknown said...

You can beat the beast. Just stay focused. I like your website.

Taikei Matsushita said...

Advice, lets see.
My student got the men's beast pistol and press done in only couple months and he doesn't know how. I gave him some pointers but basically his doing.

CI said...

I don't post on DD.

Kelly Moore completed the Beast Challenge with a 24kg easily in June 2006. For whatever reason, they never recognized this.

She easily did the pullup with the 24kg (pulling past her clavicle). In fact the only thing that would prevent her from doing the Beast Challenge with the 32kg is the press. She could do all 3 with a 28kg.

CI

Howie B said...

Follow the tips in Naked Warrior. Try a static hold at the bottom position to get accustomed to the necessary balance. Make sure you reach out and use the counterbalance to your benefit. And stay TIGHT all the way through. Just like in the book.

Oh, and nice work with them snatches!

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Thanks very much for the replies and advices. I needed to lay the challenge out there for several reasons.
Cate, no doubt Kelly can throw down with the 24kg,28kg,32kg too. Word.Sounds like she needs to be on the leader board.