Monday, March 17, 2008

Time to get serious and some background

3/16/08
Worked on hammies, quads and standing balancing. Hip openers and pull aparts for shoulders. Mindful walking leg lifts front,side and walking backwards. Standing balancing. Goal to assess stability and confidence. Pistol specific.
Halos 8kg 2x10/10
Shrugs+tilt 10kg 2 10/10
Farmer's walk 2x12 kg 2 minutes no break
Windmill 12kg 3x 5/5
SSST 12kg switch every 10. I have an ineffective system for counting. I did at least 200 snatches. Grip excellent, form needs tightening. Speed snatch last 2 mins always feels freer than rest/breathe on OH lockout.

3/17 "in the office"
MP 12 kg 5/5
C&P 16 kg 2x (1/2/3)
Background
June '07 I arrived to RKC very prepared and super psyched for three days of kbs and kb comrades. I mean I was PSYCHED. Like peel me off the ceiling. I had been practicing with kbs for about 3 years,participated in several workshops and knew I was ready to throw down with the big boys. Was keeping a decent balance with gentler stuff like Tai Chi and Ashtanga yoga. Training,nutrition,sleep were in good balance.
Had a blast at the RKC- learned a ton and was inspired by each instructor,assistant and teammate, improved techniques, put victims through a practice, ate what I could of a massive steak and had the leftovers for breakfast. At dinner I noted that Kenneth Jay's forearm is about the size of my thigh, and as Rif said, "you're rear quad dominant" so I said yeah kinda like Mary Lou Retton. That made sense to him.
I was so worried I'd be hungry or bonked out that I sent myself a package of food to the hotel ahead of time from KY...shared it and ate it.

Upon return I began teaching kbs, added classes and changed locations. I ruck some smaller kbs from new location to yoga studio for class I teach there. Teacher by day (4th,6th,7th grade), teacher by night. When to practice??
Whenever I can! I'm going to RKC II in June so it is high time to dig in. Inspired by many of your blogs out there. Always go to the "older possts" to see each person's journey. Really need to keep focus now plus meet other responsibilities.

5 comments:

Howie B said...

By "in the office", I imagine you mean you keep your kb's with you in school? What subjects do you teach? Maybe I should keep a kb hidden somewhere in my office... might need to boil the frog...

Taikei Matsushita said...

Yeah, see you there.
You took a photograph of me right after receiving my diploma. I'll make sure someone will take picture of us.

Howie just in case you don't know, she's a fighter from heart!

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

I teach Spanish. My kb classes are held in the training facilities at my school. It is an ideal arrangement. I've been known to tuck a kb away in my classroom.
Taikei, I started some doubles work today. Nothing too major, but it was fun. The pic of you in the limo that picked us up after the grad wo and etc. I'll bring you a Louisville Slugger T-shirt (or do you hate baseball? we have bourbon too as an option).

Taikei Matsushita said...

I do watch baseball once in a while. I knew about louisville's bat manufacture even as a kid in Japan.
Rather, my old man who still plays catcher at age 63 would probably take that shirt away from me.

Howie B said...

Ah... muy bien!