Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You fill up my senses

...like a night night in the forest, like a walk in the rain. Ah! It finally rained here. I think we had 1/16" in August. Very parched. Walked for an hour and smelled the bundled trees felled by the storm. I love weather and being out in it. It's a challenge for me to be contained in a city and the kettlebell is one way to cope with sensory overload.
Post walk I did Ramanand Patel's "yoga for pain." So, that was all about the feet. From there I did Ardha Chandrasana against the wall. I'll say it again, I don't find any comfort or steadfastness in this asana, so I held it for awhile and checked it out. It's a walkin',talkin' question mark for me. The bottom foot is not firmly rooted as the hip is not settled and I don't like having my trunk open the way the posture demands. Torso stability figures in. Having the chest open and heart exposed is a threat to the whole deal. Maybe I can try it in body armor or a weight vest.

4 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

It's the work that counts. The effort makes you brighter.

This is a really dark time if you pay attention to the news. A discipline like yoga is priceless.

fawn said...

I love Ardha Chandrasana! But I have William to explain it all to me... Tuck the standing hip under as you drive the heal into the floor. Revolve around the mid-line starting at your navel. William would say that posture is your guru.

My guru is Parivrtta Parsvakonasana. I feel closed in and suffocated especially with my back heal on the floor.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hey Fawn, I know you love Ardha Chandrasana-you totally rock the 1/2 moon. The Pavritti set up with your baseboard and window sill is particularly chilly. The standing hip tuck I will use immediately. Seems that I take too much weight to my big toe side. I tend to "toe in" anyway and need to get out to pinkie toe. I just feel super exposed in it-guru it is.

Aaron, My practices are dim right now but that IS brighter than dark. Turn off the news, it'll happen with out you. Stand on your head or do handstands.

Franklin said...

I envy your rigorous pursuit of spirituality through yoga. I gave it a good shot but in the end I had to ditch it .. too much lower back flexion .. ouch!