Saturday, October 18, 2008

Who could it be now?

Locally someone, not an RKC, was on TV demonstrating the fine art of kettlebells. I did not see the spot. I can comment that it has brought me some business! Folks know they need reliable support when taking on the iron ball.

New RKC snatch rules...no doubt this was well thought out and discussed by those who have observed many,many people testing at the RKC. I think it will be deceptive to candidates (1st timers) as they may view the snatch test as the "icing on the cake" and think that if they nail their numbers then they are good to go. Oh boy, that could be a painful lesson. I think the old rules are a superior indicator of preparation,fatigue/anxiety management, shoulder stability and grip endurance. Are the new rules suggestive of less emphasis on the snatch test as an indicator of preparedness for the RKC? That is not such a bad idea.

Just to see how it flew, I grabbed the 16kg at 9am before my classes to see if there was anything weird about the 60 reps for my weight class.I set the gymboss for 5 minutes, and hit it. I rested in lockout after 10 reps per side x3. I had about 90 seconds left over. Bell did not touch the ground.

In less than a decade I'll be able to test in Master's Class.

4 comments:

Franklin said...

Hi Katie,

With regard to the new snatch test, I do not believe there is that much of a difference for the under 200lb men, at least as far my experience suggests. Namely, about a month before my Cert, I did an ascending and descending ladder of 78 reps (without putting the bell down) in just under 5 minutes with the 24kg. Given that 80 reps is the new number for that class, the two methods seem to pretty close.

It will be interesting to hear some of the women's take on this.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hi Franklin,
If I were I guy I would be grateful to be allowed to park the 24 kg for a sec during the test. The women have not made much comment yet on the changes for us. I venture to say that most of us train snatches with a 16kg anyway and won't be phased by 60 reps with it. Plus, there are plenty,plenty strong women who are attending the certs. Yeah!!

Aaron Friday said...

Katie and Franklin, here are my impressions:

* I am delighted that women are now tested with the 16kg. Check the TSC results for women snatching the 16kg like crazy. For strong women, this is not heavy at all. The man-divided-by-woman equals 2 formula never sat right with me for the snatch test.

* Some people will find the timed set (with more reps) more difficult than the single-hand switch, but I found it to be much, much easier. When my max was 15/15, I got 82 reps in a 5-minute test on my first try. It sucked, but I did it. Only after doing 114 in a TSC did I achieve 25/25, 30/30, 35/30, and 40/40.

I won't speak for women in general, but 60 reps in 5 minutes is cake if you train with the 16kg regularly.

24x80=1920
16x60=960

It looks like a woman is still half of a man after all.

16x80 seems more fair.

Taikei Matsushita said...

Snatch standard will change in few years. We are 60 years old and have us done 10 minutes for 200 or more reps.

Even guys like Brett Jones has less than 10 years kettlebell experience. Standard should evolve.