Monday, June 23, 2008

Into the clouds

6/20/08
I looked forward to yoga all day,then I took a power nap and from that point my brain felt as if packed in cotton. I was relaxed but my thoughts were muffled. It was no struggle to get to class or physically be present on the mat. Sun Salutations A and B,forward bending,triangles and the rest of standing felt great from my toes to crown of my head. Virabhadrasana was empowering and I felt alert, but my mind was in deep chill mode. Still, I was content to witness the practice and be on the mat. If had been "forcing it" I would stop and take rest. Then on to seated....as I completed Janu Sirsasana C I realized I had skipped Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimattanasana and Tiriangmukhaikapada Paschimattanasana (1/2 bound lotus forward bend and 1 leg folded back forward bend). The Sanskrit totally makes sense if you study the words and is how I learned the postures. Postures are not as complicated as they look spelled out.
I knew it was time to stop so I took my mat to the next room, re-did what I skipped+ the janus again and then to finishing sequence. Savasana was easy today. Corpse pose is said to be difficult for Westerners. Today my monkey mind was in its mental hammock and my body seemed to fall through the floor. Other students came and went through the studio doors and I played cemetery.
6/21/08
Taught classes and did my practice:
2Hsw 12 kg 100 no stop
1Hsw 16kg L/R: 3(10/10),2Hsw 20, H2H 20 no stop
Snatches 16kg 2(5/5/5/5) 20 sec active recovery jog,2(5/5/5/5) jog, 2(5/5/5/5)jog
Snatch+ Windmill 12 kg 10/10

6/22/08
Dogs are keeping me awake at night with their active dreaming feet.
Did a little dancing to rockabilly free concert ;) Little side project to not be such a square about dancing. So many smooth and passionate dancers in CR.
Last Sunday I was on The Pacuare River rafting like a mad woman. Sometimes I am scared when rafting but this year I was eating it up. Doubles as pulling exercise as well as rotational torso. I was in front right spot and had left foot tucked in pocket dealie which temporarily relieved sore heel. Rafting was a blast, and I kept all my fingernails.

Went out to do chores and just drove into the cumulo-nimbus clouds for awhile. Beautiful. One student on CR trip had never flown in a plane before and I asked him how he felt about it afterwards. He said he kept thinking he could step out into the clouds and walk. Remember that feeling?!

6/23/08
New private client today. He is not new to kbs and is coachable and strong. We went over swings,cheat curl,clean (hang,dead and swing),pressing,front squats. Overhead hold and walk reveals good stability and flexibility in the position. Opened the can of works that is TGU and I feel confident that next session we will work on this! He noted that literature and info often simply states: "Lay down and stand up with the weight fixed overhead." Hmmm...nothing about the tangle of feet or the weight yawing in front of sight line. The session was a great start to an action packed week!!

3 comments:

fawn said...

I only know the Sanskrit words... Thank you I know exactly what you are talking about.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

:) I do need to check the spelling on some things though...my yoga teacher is in Mysore and noted in her blog comments from Sharath about the importance of learning and correctly pronouncing the Sanskrit names. Just like everything else, it has its own vocabulary.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.